Once you’re aware of the different car battery size options, you will be prepared for the inevitable. There is a possibility that you will face a car battery change within the lifespan of your vehicle.
Welcome to reality!
In this car battery size guide, we are going to compare all the available sizes of car batteries. This will be done as per the unique engine requirements for each individual vehicle.
Apart from the number of varying number of car batteries, there are other variations in vehicle batteries like:
- Location of the positive or negative terminals.
- Size of car battery terminal heads.
- 17 different battery sizes.
- Car battery dimensions.
- Number of car battery brands.
Installation of a replacement or new car battery will require you to have knowledge about these variations. Further, you will need to remember the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
But incase you cannot recall the manufacturer’s recommendations, you can use car battery matcher technology. It will filter out the car batteries that won’t fit your vehicle.
The most common battery types and their dimensions are inclusive of:
|Group size||LxWxH (cm)||LxWxH (inches)|
|Group 24||26 x 17.3 x 22.5||10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875|
|Group 27||30.6 x 17.3 x 22.5||12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875|
|Group 31||33 x 17.3 x 24||13 x 6.8125 x 9.4375|
|Group 34||26 x 17.3 x 20||10.25 x 6.8125 x 7.875|
|Group 35||23 x 17.5 x 22.5||9.0625 x 6.875 x 8.875|
|Group 51 and 51R||23.8 x 12.9 x 22.3||9.374 x 5.0625 x 8.8125|
|Group 55||30.6 x 19 x 19.2||12.0625 x 7.5 x 7.5625|
|Group 78||26 x 17.9 x 19.6||10.25 x 7.0625 x 7.6875|
Different vehicles battery charge capacity requirements.
The list above is a compilation of the most common battery groups but there are other considerations. Vehicle battery power requirements will vary depending on the type of vehicle. For example,
- Heavy duty commercial vehicles use 12-V and 6-Cell batteries.
- Passenger and light-commercial vehicles use 6-V and 3-Cell batteries.
- Heavy duty commercial and special tractors 6-V and 3-Cell batteries.
- Electric vehicles 6-V and 3-Cell batteries.
- 8-V and 4-Cell batteries Electric vehicles.
- Electric Vehicle 12-V and 6-Cells batteries.
- General purpose 12-V and 6-Cells batteries.
- Ordnance 12-V and 6-Cells batteries.
- 24-V and 12-Cells Ordnance Batteries.
The BCI batteries’ dimensions usually vary in just a fraction of an inch.